Saturday, December 17, 2005

Getting the cold shoulder

A "medium" length run was on the cards today - which meant that I'd be running for around 45 minutes. I'd decided after the midweek debacle that it was about time I learned to run with water, even if I chose not to drink it, so I took along a bottle of water.

It's surprisingly difficult to drink while running - although I managed to take a couple of sips without choking during the run. What hadn't occurred to me was how much my shoulder would hurt. The combination of carrying the 500g weight and the reduced motion (you don't need to swing as far if your arm is heavier) meant that my shoulder wasn't as warm as usual. Towards the end of the run, I could really feel it.

I tried swapping arms halfway through, but it just didn't seem to work holding the bottle in my left hand.

Perhaps if it had been warmer it wouldn't have been as bad - but that won't help me for several months. In the meantime, I need to sort out a solution - probably either a special runners D-shaped bottle, or a water rucksack.

The run itself went well - in spite of the exhaustion from Wednesday (admittedly I played Ultimate on Thursday evening without a problem, so that had boded well). The final time was a 41m21s run on a shade under 9km course - nearly 13kph. That was pretty good, especially since I forgot to eat anything before heading out. Really need to make a list - I always forget something: charged batteries, water, sugar, watch, keys, tying my shoelaces properly......

So, Ultimate, a run, Ultimate, a run then the Christmas break - need to get that training sorted out in my head, since I won't take my planning spreadsheet with me.

Hasta luego.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home