Monday, December 19, 2005

The start of Christmas indulgence

On Saturday night we went out for an "all you can eat" Chinese meal (and I'm talking a serious amount of food) and then today was the unit Christmas lunch. The next couple of weeks will see the company Christmas party, Hazel's father's brithday meal, Hazel's family's Christmas meal, my family's Christmas meal and then, finally, Hazel's and my Christmas meal. Not to mention all the naughty food we'll be given as presents.

In short, there's gonna be a lot of eating, and at the same time less exercise (no Ultimate!), so it'll be interesting to see how I fare. Today was the first run where I might feel an effect...

Monday night means a quick run up to Oakwood and back. Nothing quite like the refreshing breeze, the glowing headlights, and the peace and solitude on the road out from Enfield. Or to put it another way, the freezing cold, with the oncoming full beam headlights and no one to smile at for half an hour.

To be honest, it wasn't too bad. I deliberately pushed a little when I could, but nothing too hard. Out in 15m15s, back in 13m46s. It's always easier on the way back, because (a) it's slightly downhill (at least on average) and (b) you know you don't have to keep anything in reserve. Plus I couldn't be bothered warming up fully, so I had to go gently to start with.

So only Wednesday's run before we head off on the Christmas travels. A mammoth 16 miler, taking me almost out to Hatfield (last minute Christmas shopping anyone?). God, I'll need a break after that. Plan is to cut off work at 5pm, get changed as quickly as possible, then a brief warm up before setting out. With Lucozade Sport and carb gel this time. I may be stupid, but some mistakes I do learn from.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home