Saturday, February 25, 2006

All downhill

These blogs are starting to get a bit repetitive - I really should go for a run that isn't just to Oakwood and back. The problem is that in most directions from where I live there are lots of little side streets - whereas the road up to Oakwood runs through fields, so there are hardly any streets to cross (and therefore less times I have to slow down).

Well, maybe another day, but today it was Oakwood once again. I'd got up feeling pretty tired and unmotivated, and was considering not running till the evening, but I realised that would be a mistake. So, I donned my kit and went out - didn't even bother with more than a token couple of stretches before starting running.

Started slow, but it was cold so I had to pick up the pace a little to keep warm. Nothing spectacular, but somehow managed to break 6 minutes to the first roundabout. Hmmmm - even when I don't try, I seem to be running quickly these days.

I had been thinking about going to Cockfosters, but realised that I had the opportunity of another good time for the Oakwood run, so turned round after only 13 minutes or so.

The wind on the way back was a bit of a pain, but it's always an easier run back - downhill most of the way, and then a very long steep hill to remind you that running isn't meant to be easy.

The result? My first sub 26 time to Oakwood, my fastest ever average speed and a much happier person.

Tomorrow I'm off to buy some new running shoes - so expect my times to drop significantly ;) Well - at the very least I should be more comfortable running longer distances, and with us just having passed the "two months to the marathon" mark, it's most definitely time to start piling on the miles.

Or kilometres - wouldn't want to seem old fashioned...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home